Posts

Showing posts from October, 2010

LITTLE CREAMY FLATS - NAMADGI - VIDEO

Image
A recent short video showing the Little Creamy Flats near Namadgi Ridge in the Namadgi National Park. John Evans site Johnny Boys Walkabout Blog has information and videos on trekking in all the wild places of the Australian Capital Territory.


Johnny Boys Walkabout YouTube Channel

MAP

View Larger Map
Share-

J.J. MOORE'S BRANDING IRONS

Image
This newspaper article reports on the accomplishments of Moore as he opened up the Monaro and into the present day state of Victoria. The article was prompted by the re-discovery of J.J. Moores cattle brands in 1928. Before the clipping some background information...

Lieutenant Joshua J. Moore was born in 1790 near Horningsen England and in 1813 entered the Army. He rose to become a Lieutenant of the 14th Buckinghamshire Regiment of foot and was present at the Battle of Waterloo. Soon after this famous victory, he retired on half-pay, and in 1816 emigrated to New South Wales.

Joshua John Moore (1790-1864)(bio)
After holding several high positions in the Justices Department in Sydney he retired from official life and resided on 500 acres at Cabramatta NSW which garant he had recieved in 1819. He was the first landed proprietor at Canberra but was eventually forced to sell his estate of 1742 acres at Acton. The property was purchased  by Arthur Jeffreys. R.N., who had married the second …

STATUE OF ETHOS - CIVIC SQUARE

Image
Located in Canberra's civic square the statue of "Ethos" guards the entrance to today's ACT Legislative Assembly. Ethos (meaning) is a copper sculpture created by Tom Bass and was commissioned by the National Capital Development Commission in 1959 before being unveiled in 1961.


"The NCDC (National Capital Development Commission) intended that the work would emphasize that Canberra is the non-political centre, the locale of commerce and of private enterprise in its best sense. The sculpture was designed to represent the spirit of the community." 


 Bass's interpretation of this outline resulted in the figure in which he intended:

"the love which Canberra people have for their city to be identified with her...I want them to be conscious of her first as an image from a distance...then comes the moment when they become personally involved with her... they feel her looking at them, reflecting their love for the place".


The figure of Ethos is robed in e…

INCIDENTS IN THE LIFE OF JAMES AINSLIE

Image
Dated 1926 this article about the 1820's pioneer James Ainslie tells the tale of his involvement in the Battle of Waterloo and his settling of Robert Campbells property Piallago which was later to become the Duntroon Estate and in the 20th century the Royal Military College Duntroon.


The article relates Ainslies pursuit and eventful capture of the Bushrangers the "Terror of Argyle" John Tennant and his accomplice John Rix who stole the following items from Ainslies hut:

"29lb of Brazil tobbacco, four blue vests, two blue jackets, one striped vest, one black vest, one yellow vest, one light-coloured vest with pearl buttons, one light-coloured vest with covered buttons, one black silk handkerchief, one plaid cotton handkerchief, three red shirts, pair jean trousers, pair fustian trousers, upwards of 150 lb of flour, a quantity of tea and sugar, two or three gallons of spirits, powder and shot, pair half boots, four holey dollars, three Spanish dollars, two rupees, one …

LANYON VANDALISM - THE OLD KITCHEN VIDEO

Image
A series of vandal attacks in Canberra on the Lanyon historical property in the past few weeks (ABC News here and here) have damaged the heritage listed property's buildings. The culprits of these attacks on our heritage went to considerable trouble to accomplish their ends with the access road being a considerable distance from Tharwa Drive on foot and I imagine with travelling the vandalism would have taken them considerable time.



ACT Heritage Council chairman Dr Michael Pearson:

"It's a situation you really can't plan for. There's no point in putting up a barbed wire fence around Lanyon,... You just have to try to do the best you can to instill community understanding of the values of a place."


Lanyon is a national treasure. It is particularly important to the ACT as it is a remnant of a time when the European fabric of civilisation was established on the plains of what was to become the national capital. Lanyon has visible and tangible evidence of the colon…

THARWA BRIDGE - ALLEN TRUSS'

Image
The Tharwa Bridge (post) is the oldest surviving bridge in the Australian Capital Territory and was opened on 27 March 1895. The bridge (info) has been undergoing a re-construction and it now appears that the distinctive "arches" of the Allen Truss design are soon to be re-positioned...





MAP
View Larger Map
Share -

WILLIAM FARRER - LAMBRIGG STATION

Image
The Murrumbidgee River east of the Tidbinbilla Road marks the boundary of the historical property Lambrigg, formally owned by agricultural scientist William Farrer. The following information is from the signage at the Tharwa scenic lookout which overlooks Lambrigg Station:

William Farrer (1845-1906)(bio)
In 1882, English immigrant Farrer married Nina de Salis, daughter of NSW parliamentarian Leopold Fane de Salis. As a wedding present, Leopold gave the couple 240 acres along the Murrumbidgee, bordering his own land at Cuppacumbalong. Farrer chose the name Lambrigg ('hill of lambs') in memory of his mother's English village.
Nina Farrer (1848-1929)(bio)

Above: Nina Farrer holds a wheatsheaf as members of the de Salis and Smith families prepare to cross the Murrumbidgee River, about 1895.

Farrer used Lambrigg as an open-air laboratory, aiming to grow a wheat resistant to fungal disease and drought. He recorded hundreds of experiments - each requiring painstaking care to pollina…

LANYON 1873 - THE LOCAL ABORIGINALS

Image
A correspondent reports on the Lanyon Estate (post) in 1873. What begins as a simple report on the weather, crops, livestock, shearing, the river, fishing and building programs on the estate goes on to report on the death of an Aboriginal woman named "Nanny" who is known to have been a partner of James Ainsley (post) the first settler of the Duntroon Estate (here). The article ends with comments on the possible cause of the final demise of the local Aboriginal population discussing the effects of the European supply of alcohol...



Queanbeyan Age - 25 September 1873
National Library of Australia (here)
Share -

ONYONG - LAST OF THE WILD BLACKS - VIDEO

Image
Image:©Sheila Smart Photography
(Sheila is a Sydney based artist who is also available for freelance work here)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The story of Onyong - Tribal leader of the Ngambri people an Australian Aboriginal tribe of the Australian Capital Territory. Set in the 1830's and 40's the narration tells the tale of the proud warrior and leader of his people Onyong, who saw the coming of the white man to his country where the nations capital resides today.


A transcript of the video is below:
ONYONG - THE "LAST OF THE 'WILD' BLACKS"
Aborigines in the Canberra region around the year 1825 were estimated to be between 6 and 7 hundred strong.

Onyong was a well known Aboriginal man and leader of  his people the Ngambri during the time of early European settlement of the Canberra region in the 1830's. Onyong's home-base appears to have been located on the Tuggeranong Plain sou…

JOHN EYRE - CANBERRA EXPLORER - VIDEO

Image
Some interesting facts about this famous Australian explorer and his beginnings as a teenage grazier on the Limestone Plains of present day Canberra.


Grazier, explorer and eventual Colonial Governor of Jamaica Edward John Eyre (1815 – 1901)(bio) arrived in Australia from England in 1833 and that year established himself as a grazier a month before his eighteenth birthday when he bought 400 lambs and took up 1260 acres (510 ha) of land at Molonglo Plains, near Queanbeyan (info). The following year in partnership with Robert Campbell (bio) of the Duntroon Estate (post) he drove 1,000 sheep and 600 head of cattle overland to Adelaide and pocketed a tidy profit.

It was with this money that Eyre financed his exploration of the interior of South Australia with two expeditions to the north towards the Flinders Ranges and west past Ceduna. Eyre was the first European to explore the length of the Great Australian Bight and the Nullarbor Plain by land in 1840-1841 finally reaching Albany, Weste…

RENDEZVOUS AND MIDDLE CREEKS - VIDEO

Image
A video from Johnny Boy's Walkabout simply described as:

"A pleasant Wednesday wander around the open areas of Rendezvous and Middle Creeks".

Apart from lovely footage of flowing creeks amongst the granite boulders of the higher country the video also depicts the plains of the lower areas where moss "bogs" are filled with water as the seasons progress. These bogs were once the prolific habitat of the endangered Southern corroboree frog (Pseudophryne corroboree) (info)(post).

MAP

View Larger Map
Share -

GO-YANG-BERRA AN ABORIGINAL NAME

Image
It amazes me the amount of debate over the meaning of the word Canberra that occurred in the early 20th century. The official meaning today is of course the Aboriginal word for "meeting place" which is very appropriate given Canberra is the home of the Australian Federal Government.


In a second clipping Mr. John Gale (1831-1929) (known in historical circles as the "Father of Canberra")(bio) dismisses this latest assumption that Canberra was if fact the Aboriginal word for the merchant, Robert Campbell (bio) who established the Duntroon Estate (post) on the Limestone Plains in the 1820's. Mr Gale goes on to provide living proof that Canberra was the Aboriginal word "Goyangberra" meaning (possibly) a woman's breasts...

The Sydney Morning Herald - 13 May 1913 National Library of Australia (here)
The assumption made in the first article is dealt with in this reply by John Gale a week later...
The Sydney Morning Herald - 19 May 1913

National Library of Aust…

CANBERRA & DUNTROON - A REMINISCENCE

Image
Memories of today's Canberra and Duntroon in the 1870's from a resident. The unidentified author G.C.P. describes the region in context to the views of the "bush" of the day referencing the balladeers Henry Lawson (bio) and "Banjo" Patterson (bio) in difference to the perception of the Limestone Plains and the interior.

Duntroon 1870

Beginning in youth as an extra to the horse-drawn mail-run G.C.P. describes a time of English settlement, shearing, the water system and more all with a distinct eloquence in his descriptions...
The Sydney Morning Herald - 7 January 1911



National Library of Australia (here)

UPDATE: Lynn Commented:
"GCP" may have been a local grazier from Cuppacumbalong, George Cameron Perry Circuitt. With those fairly unusual initials I am guessing it was him? He sure could write beautifully!

He was married to Ethel and they had four children; Kate (Kitty), Richard (Dick) Edward (died WW1) and Barbara.

He retired to Moss Vale and died there…