Speaking at the inaugural meeting of the Canberra historical Society in 1954 Mr W. P. Bluett tells the tale of James Ainslie who was taking sheep from Bathurst in 1825 for Robert "the merchant" Campbell (1804-1859)(bio) to establish a station on land of his recommendation. After "falling in" with a camp of Aboriginals near Yass New South Wales he is apparently led by a girl to her homeland where Ainslie established the Duntroon Estate (post here) (today's Royal Military College, Duntroon).
Bluett goes on to describe the local indigenous Ngambra-Pialligo tribe and relate the finding of a 60 cm (2 foot) boomerang on the site of the new Provisional Parliament House (Now the Museum of Democracy). Before reading the article one should note that Ainsley is thought to have co-habited with an Aboriginal woman before returning to England in 1835 and that she bore him a daughter called "Nanny"...
The Canberra Times - 30 April 1954
National Library of Australia (here)
Post a Comment