Prominent New South Wales parliamentarian, Sir Terence Aubrey Murray (1810–1873) (bio here) purchased Yarralumla in 1837. He and wife Mary Murray (née Gibbes, 1817–1858) lived there until 1859. His wife died a year before.
In 1859, Murray sold Yarralumla to his brother-in-law, Augustus Onslow Manby Gibbes (1828–1897 ) (family notice board here). That same year, Augustus' parents came to live with him at Yarralumla homestead.
In 1881, Augustus sold Yarralumla to Frederick Campbell, for 40,000 pounds. Frederick Campbell was a descendant of Robert Campbell (1769-1846) (bio here). At the beginning of the 1890s Frederick Campbell erected a three-storey, brick house on the site of the former Yarralumla homestead.
In 1908, the Limestone Plains area, including Yarralumla, was selected as the new Federal Capital of the Commonwealth of Australia. In 1913, the Commonwealth Government purchased Yarralumla. Tenant farmers were allowed to stay on the land on annual leases. Some remained until 1963 when the Molonglo River was dammed to form Lake Burley Griffin. Yarralumla Homestead is now known as "Yarralumla" or "Government House".
The view up the grass avenue to the 'homestead'...