Wednesday, April 21, 2010

TUGGERANONG BOUNDARY WALL

Pleasant enough day for a walk...
This is the scene that greets you opposite the swimming pool in Tuggeranong. If you park on the side of Athlon drive in Tuggeranong and take a walk to the edge of the roadway.

Photo Dave Reid 2010


The Tuggeranong Boundary Wall is a rare and substantial ACT example of a nineteenth century dry stone wall. Even though it is so close to the modern day tuggeranong shopping precinct the boundary marker is a little known piece of Tuggeranong’s history.

Photo Dave Reid 2010


It was the marker of the boundary between the rural properties of Lanyon and Yarralumla.
and was built between 1867 and 1875, what remains is a surviving remnant of a more extensive boundary marker complex.

Photo Dave Reid 2010

It was built using a variety of techniques, including dry stone wall (stones piled up without mortar), mortared stones, and a ditch and bank system. Wire fencing was also used alongside the stone structure as a form of rabbit-proofi ng. This type of mixed construction is thought to have been very rare in Australia. The wall extended 1,800 metres from the eastern bank of the Murrumbidgee to what is now Drakeford Drive.

Photo Dave Reid 2010

Much of the wall was lost during the urban development of Tuggeranong and the construction of Lake Tuggeranong but in 1989 parts of it were reconstructed.

Photo Dave Reid 2010

A portion of the original boundary wall is visible on the river side of Athllon Drive opposite the Anketell Street junction. The rebuilt section is on the opposite side of Athllon Drive.

Photo Dave Reid 2010

Long stretches of fence posts weathered by age and burnt from bushfire show remnants of the rabbit proof wire that once stretched its length.

Photo Dave Reid 2010

Quite low in some stretches....

Photo Dave Reid 2010

here the wall changes direction as it stretches down to the murrumbidgee river.



Photo Dave Reid 2010


Photo Dave Reid 2010

Upon the return journey the last photo shows where the wall once stretched away towards Drakeford Drive.

Photo Dave Reid 2010


View Larger Map